.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sam Knits

Friday, August 04, 2006

"More Wool?"

Asks the Husband.

Me: "Yes. Just a little."

Husband: "Why do you need more?"

Me: "I just do."

Me again: "Why do you need another deer head on the wall?"

Husband: "Oh, yeah. "

Actually, he's pretty tolerant of the fuzzy stuff in places it doesn't belong. And he certainly understands about having a hobby that you're obsessed with. That doesn't mean I can't still nag him about the banjo thing.

So this is what I got yesterday:
The two smaller lighter colored skeins in front are a very light fingering weight (almost lace weight) superwash merino. Unbelievably soft. Yum. It is already dyed and hanging in the bathroom right now. I don't know if I'll be able to part with it. The other wool is about a pound of non-superwash mystery wool. Not that soft, but it's not too bad either. It does have a strong odor. Even the Tot said so. It will need a little more washing, but I did dye a little last night, and it takes color very well. I don't particularly like the colors I used, but that's my fault, not the yarn's.

And here is some proof that I have knitted a little this week:

That is my heel-less sleeping sock from the 'Vintage Socks' book. Yep, my heel-less sock has a heel. I just couldn't do it. I think tube socks are an insult to the process of hand-knitting a sock. And that is some KnitPicks sock yarn that I'll be using to make a few Christmas socks with.

Melissa mentioned on her blog about the fuzz-factor of some of the dye-your-own yarns from KnitPicks. I noticed that too, even when I've tried to be extra-special careful about the tempurature and agitation. I haven't had that issue with anything that was superwash, so I guess that's the deal there. Still I love just about ALL of the stuff I've ever got from KnitPicks, and now they have some new dye-your-own stuff that I just HAVE to try! (and they've got super-wash now too)

1 Comments:

At 4/8/06 12:02 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

The sock looks great. And of course we always need more wool! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home