.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sam Knits

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Koolaid Anyone?

Take one sink full of wet wool.

Add you favorite flavor Koolaid and viola! Beautiful, bright colors! I don't really let the Tot drink this stuff, but it sure does make pretty yarn.

This is some merino sock yarn from Knit Picks that I dyed with Koolaid in Lemon-lime, Orange, and Blue Raspberry flavors, and the red one is Black Cherry. I used the directions from the Knit Picks website. I think I'm going to get some more and do some solid green. My solid red actually turned out a little variegated, probably because should have use a bigger pot. But I like it and I think it will make beautiful socks. Makes the yarn smell kind of fruity too. Yum. This is what they look like after getting acquainted with the ball-winder:


Oh, I did say I wouldn't start any new projects until I finished a sock. Well, I finished ONE sock:


And when will I cast on for it's mate? When I get darn good and ready, that's when! I think I'm goin' to finish those backwards stripey things first though. I did call Knit Picks to ask about that little quirk with the yarn winding. It's wound elsewhere before they get it and the only way to really check is to unwind a few feet on each ball and compare them. I think I might put one of the other two on the ball-winder for a little re-winding. The lady I talked to apologized profusely and was very nice, but I assured her that I liked the yarn enough that it wasn't really that big a problem, I'll buy it again anyway. A minor inconvenience, right? (I still say it's a conspiracy against knitters) I do like the randomness of the hand-dyed yarn though, so I might stick with those types more than the so called 'self-striping' ones. (conspiracy)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home