.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sam Knits

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Merino

The other white yarn.

But not for long!


I also did one in lime-green (color choice courtesy of The Tot). I don't need any lime-green socks, but still. It wasn't out of the dye pot until after dark last night, so no pictures yet. Trust me, it's bright. Actually, I haven't decided whether to keep these or e-bay them. I really need to work on finishing some of the stuff I already have started. Like the other pair of socks I started Sunday. I started sock #2 of that pair last night, so maybe I won't have that single-sock issue if I work on them both at the same time.

We did a little home-state touring on Sunday and visited the Oakley Plantation in St Francisville, Louisiana. It was a beautiful day and the weather was perfect. Some of the house sustained water damage from the hurricanes last year which was sad to see. My very favorite room, which was neither water damaged or even in the main house:

Behold! The fiber room! There were (I think) three or four spinning wheels, a couple of skein-winders, a weasel, and a huge loom that took up most of the space in the middle of the room. Oh, and there was yarn. Of course.

Oakley started as an indigo plantation and later abandoned that in favor of cotton. I'm guessing that it was the slaves who would have done the spinning and weaving since at that time those activities were not idle hobbies. I think they do historical demonstrations of spinning here and I'd like to see that. These probably are not old wheels if they are the same used for the demonstrations, but it's still my favorite room. And not that I've ever heard of one until Sunday, but I think my favorite object in the room has got to be the weasel. Doesn't look like much but the concept is kind of neat. It's geared to wind a preset measure of yarn. When it's done, it makes a 'popping' sound. Hence, "Pop Goes The Weasel"! Some of us are more easily entertained than the rest of you. Just leave us be.

There were gardens too. Maybe I'll have time to post some of those pictures in a day or two.

1 Comments:

At 25/4/06 10:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, very nice post! I've been to Oakley more times than I can remember, but it's been years since the last time. I had forgotten that they had that much spinning equipment.
I like the purplish yarn. It coordinates well with your blog background. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home